Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Journey to motherhood

Before I was pregnant I had not realized how much my life was going to change. Having a baby was something all the women in the world did. It will not be such a big deal. Its natural. A women's body would have optimized the process with so many decades of evolution. I would know what to do. Also, I will know how to take care of the baby. I trust my 'Natural instincts'. 

Pregnancy was a roller coaster rider. With the pre-term labor and the 'tributaline' and tri-weekly (yup, not weekly or bi-weekly) visits to the ob-gy. That was just a prelude to my transformation. This was followed by sleepless night and back-breaking feeding sessions. My husband has already forgotten it all. I still wake up in the middle of the night to feel my belly. I am suppose to forget it all post- pregnancy ( its been 18 months since I had Arushi). But I have not, I have a clear and vivid memory of the contractions which would not stop; the kicks and tickles that made me giggle all the time; the new-born cry that makes you feel so helpless.

It still feels 'magical'. How could I produced a whole new human being? I did and I am proud of it. Will I go through it again? friends ask me and I must think about it again urges the family. I do not know that yet. Maybe or maybe not. But, this journey to becoming a mother had transformed me and humbled me. It has taught me 'patience' and 'giving' like I never knew I was capable of and the gratitude I feel towards my mother is beyond expression ( she says she is tired of hearing about it now but I am still overwhelmed by the thought of all she has done for me).

This is a tribute to all the mothers in the world. Like 'they' say, with every baby a mother is born.



3 comments:

  1. Hey Jaina. Jumped into your blog through You google Talk inline message. Wow, 18 months have gone by into your motherhood, most tough physically tasxing times past and hopefull stop there :). Welcome to motherhood. Keep the posts coming and I will follow you. I have a blog as well - its archanasjournal.blogspot.com. Probably the earlier posts of my parenting would be more apt for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love your writing, jaina!! Can't say it enough!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great going buddy!! I never knew u had a blog!!
    My daughter asked me who were and i said"my train friend" Those were the day!!keep going great writing !!I am so proud of u my dear friend!!and I still Misss u!!

    ReplyDelete