Monday, October 18, 2010

Good Bye NY

Moving out of NY was not supposed to be such a big deal for me. I remember, there was a knot in my stomach at the prospect of leaving Bombay to move to NY. I thought I would never feel that way again. I had always disliked the Indian custom of the daughters leaving the house and the guys staying with their parents. I always argued they should both leave the house and start a life together. So moving to NY was in a way getting my way. I had still cried myself to sleep for quiet many nights before the wedding. Though it was a mixed feeling of excitement and sadness.

I have pretty much stopped crying over anything small since a while now. But, I found myself wiping my eyes on my drive to work for the last few days. The first day it was the sight of the snow covered trees and the next days were because I was leaving my friends behind and moving. The place, I started my married ife, the place I had my child. The friend- I had without hesitation called at 3 am one night to tell her I was coming over to sleep at her place because my apartment was flooded. The friend who offered that I could live with her for the next 3 weeks till I fly out and I would not hesitate to take her offer if circumstances demand. The friends I have raised funds for Asha and trained to run with. Friends I have taken memorable trips to Maine, Lake George, Pennsylvania, Boston, Washington and made innumerable happy memories with. The friends who have helped me call NY - my home. The friends some of whom I do not talk to for months and yet I know they are there.

I got lucky with friends in NY. Will I have the same luck in California? As a grown-up It should be no big deal- we will make new friends. But it takes time and effort to go from knowing a person and being polite to becoming friends. I dread that just like my friends in Bombay; I will fade out of my NY friend's lives. I also feel blessed that it is turning out to be difficult for me ; that means I had made connections for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment